Beginner Silkscreen: Weeknights
A two-day introduction to screen printing. Learn how to design, make films and print two-color editions on paper.
- Mondays, Mar 9th + 16th, 6-9pm
- Mondays, May 4th + 11th, 6-9pm
Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making prints, posters, coasters, greeting cards, stationery, and more. Your instructor will walk you through the process and help you gain the skills you need to confidently plan and execute your next paper-based project.
NOTE: This workshop will only focus on printing on paper - NOT textiles, apparel or fabric.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction to screen printing in two sessions. (This class is also offered as a weekend eight hour a one-day intensive.) Participants will design, print, and exchange a two-color print on paper with a maximum dimension of 8" x 10".
Class 1: The first class will be dedicated to making your screens. This class is will help you understand how to plan and design your image area. You’ll learn analog and digital methods of making stencils and films.
Class 2: Participants spend the second class learning proper printing techniques and registration, and troubleshooting. The workshop will end with a print exchange.
*This class is an introduction to the process, not an opportunity to complete a specific project. Your imagery and inspiration should be simple and geared towards learning the process and techniques. The instructor is there to impart technical knowledge to help you understand the process enough to start your own project.
Instructors: John Paul McCaughey (May), March TBD
Prerequisites: None. Participants must attend ALL TWO silkscreen classes and pass a separately scheduled emulsion certification in order to use the silkscreen studio at AS220 Industries as a Member.
Supplies and Resouces:
- Paperworks - Excellent source for paper / Pawtucket at 544 West Ave
- Jerry's Art-A-Rama - paper also suitable for letterpress printing / Providence at 653 North Main Street
- Blick Art Materials - Silkscreen inks and drawing tools / Providence at 200 Wickenden Street
- RISD 3D Store - Paper for letterpress printing / Providence at 30 North Main Street
- Pocono Screens - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
- Victory Factory - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
What to Bring to Class:
- Imagery to work from Illustrations or computer files on a flash drive or in your email. (Keep it simple at first: 2 colors, the text should be at least 8pt, avoid very thin line work.)
- Acetate or frosted mylar for drawing designs (You may also print out or photocopy images onto acetate using our laser printer; see Supplies we provide below)
- Opaque drawing tools for film (Oil-based paint marker, poster paint marker, fast-drying ink for film; we recommend "Permapaque")
- Paper is not included, so please bring some with you to each class.(Any type of paper will work, Bristol pads, printmaking papers)
- Silkscreen screens (We discourage using screens smaller than 16” x 20”, especially small wooden screens from DIY kits.)
- Sketching/drawing tools
- Utility knife
- Acrylic or textile printing ink, any color; Speedball brand recommended for beginners
- Masking tape and/or clear shipping tape (Scotch brand; anything else might damage screens!)
MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES WE PROVIDE:
- A service to transfer images onto A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate
- Shop Screens
- Spatulas, spoons, ink mixing implements
- Scoop coaters
- Stencil remover
- Rags, sponges, brushes, etc.
- Registration material
Supplies available for purchase in the Shop:
- A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate, $1 each
Location: The AS220 Industries is located at the Mercantile at 131 Washington Street Providence, Rhode Island on the 1st floor. The entrance is located at the back of the building on Lucie Way; use the entrance under the AS220 Printshop sign, head upstairs and follow the signs. Ring the bell if the doors aren't open (though they should be).
Parking: There is a 2-hour metered on-street parking available, and parking is free on Sundays. We are also located near a parking garage with entry on Washington Street, look for the big blue parking sign.
Important Workshop Policies. Please be as respectful of the short time you and the other participants have to learn and be as on time as possible. If you arrive more than half an hour late, we will not be able to teach you. Please plan ahead, it always takes time to find on-street parking.
REFUND POLICY: To cancel your reservation must email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance, or risk losing your payment.
Cancellation of workshops. If the minimum number is not met in workshop enrollment, the teacher may opt to cancel the workshop. If this is the case, we will give a full refund of workshop payment and first choice to enroll in future workshops. We will attempt to give as much notice as possible, thank you for your understanding.
QUESTIONS: Contact Industries Staff at email@example.com or by phone at (401) 831-9327 ext 202.
We Also Recommend